Saturday, October 27, 2007

Driving and Sehwag

It is always a pleasure to drive in an organized environment where people mind their business and respect the law to a good extent making lives easy for themselves and others. My first driving experience in the US, a long one to Scranton - 3 hrs one way, all alone by myself. Except for the nasty rain in CT, it was a wonderful experience and gave me great confidence to go on for long drives.

There is one aspect that stands out in the US among drivers - courtesy to pedestrians and to other fellow drivers. Now this is something that is unheard of back home. I will not say it was a shock when I first saw this in US, but there was an instant feeling - oh boy how good is this!

I showed this video to my friends in between our weekly dose of Lollu Sabha and yes, the thought of driving back home scared the bejeezus out of them. There is no concept of yield there for all practical purposes - its all about adjustment and co-ordination. You are speeding on a road and bang comes another vehicle. Or even a buffalo. What will you do?

All you need to possess for driving in India is some street smartness and a good eye-leg coordination. Just like Sehwag - known for his hand-eye coordination.

No comments: